Carbon Monoxide is Dangerous
Carbon monoxide is a dangerous chemical for the living. Red blood cells act as a taxi service. They absorb and transfer oxygen throughout the body via the body’s superhighway: the blood stream. Oxygen catches a cab from the lungs and gets off at the door of needy cells.
The cells in our bodies require a constant supply of oxygen to function properly. A lack of oxygen will kill them.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a smaller cell that can also be absorbed by red blood cells. They are faster and pushier than the oxygen and often make it to the taxis first. When a red blood cell takes on too many CO passengers, the Oxygen gets left in a cloud of smoke as CO races off to the other needy cells. It happens over and over again. CO wins the fight every time.
CO is Selfish
The only problem is, once the CO arrives, it is unwilling to give up its Oxygen molecule to help out the body. Carbon is bonded too tightly. So instead of helping the body out, it simply ignores the needy cells.
The reason CO is so dangerous is because it suffocates you. It is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. You don’t know you aren’t breathing properly until it’s too late. You need a CO detector to alert you of the presence of this dangerous imitation for Oxygen.
CO detectors are able to detect the overwhelming amount of carbon monoxide in the air. They warn you before the poisoning can start taking effect.
Be sure to purchase a well-made detector and install one on every floor of your home. Check them often to make sure they still work. When it goes off, throw open windows nearby and get out of your home quickly. Notify authorities immediately and have them figure out what the problem is.
photo credit: HeatherMG via photopin cc